February 15, 2013

Peas Pulav / Matar Pulav / मटर पुलाव


Share with friends and family

Peas Pulao/ Matar Pulao is a classic and yet simple recipe . A perfect menu item for all sorts of parties ,get together and festive days.

A rice preparation that is absolutely mildly spiced, it is a crowd pleaser and also pairs well with any type of spicy gravy like Chole , Matar Paneer , Gujarati Kadhi ,Kaju Matar Masala etc etc.

Matar pulao was one of the recipes I learnt on my own when I was experimenting in the kitchen with flavors, taste and textures.I very vividly remember the surprised and happy look on my mom's face when I served her Matar pulao with raita as a surprise when she came back after completing some errands.


Peas pulav can be easily prepared to pack for lunch box as well . Kids and elderly would love to enjoy this yummy preparation during their lunch time. 

Matar pulao is one of our family favorites and go to recipes when I want to whip up a quick lunch or dinner . I normally pair it with Gujarati Kadhi as it compliments the flavors well . At times  I also serve it with some crispy papad to add up to the crunch.

Masala Matar Pulao is another classic recipe which we like at home but that is reserved for days when we crave for something spicy ,masaledar but at the same time a light and filling meal . Do check out recipe by clicking on the link above .



I had actually forgotten to update my pics on the blog with better pics for Peas Pulao. Each time I make Matar pulao ,the urge to immediately have it piping hot kept delaying my activity of clicking some decent pics, but this time I was determined to click decent pics and update the post which was published in 2013 with amateur pics during early blogging days.  So here it is a revamped post (7/10/23) with  better pics and extra anecdotes from my memories. Recipe is now suited to cater to Vegans,  No Onion No garlic and Jain patrons as well. 


Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 30 mins
Complexity - simple 
Serves : 2

Jain Version : Omit  the ginger garlic paste and follow the recipe as is.

No Onion No garlic version : Use grated ginger or ginger paste and skip the GARLIC

Vegan version can use cooking oil instead of ghee /butter.



Ingredients 
1 measure rice (preferably basmati rice )
ghee / clarified butter - 2 tbsp (or)
Oil 2tbsp ( vegan version) 
1 tbsp cumin /jeera seeds
1 bay leaf 
1 stick cinnamon
2-3 cardamom /elaichi
1-2 cloves/lavang
1 green chilli slit vertically 
1 tsp ginger garlic paste (optional) 
1 cup fresh/frozen green peas
Salt as per taste

Method

  • Heat the ghee/oil in a pressure cooker/heavy bottomed vessel.
  • Add the cumin seeds and let it crackle.
  • Add the ginger garlic paste , green chilli, bay leaf ,cinnamon,cardamom,cloves and saute well.
  • Now add the washed and drained rice and peas to this with 2 measures of water.
  • Close the lid and allow the rice to cook until all the water is absorbed if cooking in a pan . If cooking in pressure cooker, cook on medium flame for 1 whistle.  Let the pressure release naturally .
  • Allow the rice to set for about 10 -15 mins.
  • garnish with corriander leaves.
  • Serve hot with any kind of dhaall , kadhi, gravy or raita. 

Pin me up 




7 comments:

  1. Peas / veg pulav is also incidentally the first “dabba wala” dish that amma taught me to make :-) those memories are surely a way to re-live our teenage years right ? I love this pulav with any spicy gravy and raita . - kalyani

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love matar pulao. You recipe is so different from the one I make. Like your recipe with simple spices and no turmeric. Will try out this recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to make this and it comes out so handy and good for parties and potlucks. Goes well with a lot of gravies as well as a crowd pleaser for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the no onion garlic version and it turned out really tasty. Simple yet quite flavorful. I served it with some curry on the side and it was a perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the peas pulao when I added the ginger garlic. It was like the missing flavour that brought the pop in the food. Thanks for helping me out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peas pulav looks delish priya! I made this for our lunch yesterday and it came out delish, i used just the ginger and omitted the garlic, it was hit with the boys too! Delish share!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Masala mattar pulao is such a comforting recipe. I love making this when we get fresh peas, never the less happy with the frozen ones too.

    ReplyDelete

If you feel your search for the recipe ends here and this blog has helped you with that,please do drop in a word / suggestion ,which will motivate me further to help you guys !!